Kammok is seeking a fast-moving, strategic product designer to join our team full-time and play a leading role in the creation and execution of our product pipeline. This position reports directly to our CEO and works closely with our Product Design, Operations and Marketing teams to ideate, design and develop new products, support timely sourcing and production, and manage product-to-market execution.
Kammok designs performance outdoor gear to elevate camp. Our mission is to equip and inspire life-changing adventure, and we believe the outdoors is most transformative when experienced through our core values of community, adventure and love. We are a small and entrepreneurial team; this role is for someone who is a hungry and generative designer, understands our consumers, and aspires to elevate the outdoor experience.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
Your responsibilities include:
- Researching industry trends and analyzing current product function; exploring new materials and manufacturing methods
- Conceptualizing innovative solutions for future product lines and line extensions; clearly presenting ideas: sketching, prototyping, color boarding, CAD, and more
- Building product specification / technical packages (tech-packs) in Adobe Illustrator for product sampling; specifying colors, trims and graphic details
- Creating samples and translating designs into manufacturable products
- Developing custom components using CAD and rapid prototyping processes
- Prototyping, testing and reviewing design samples; iterating to create best-in-class solutions
- Interacting with suppliers and developers to source appropriate materials; managing pre-production requirements
- Rolling up your sleeves to support where needed
You are motivated to design the best and make magic happen at Kammok. You are described as:
- A curious and creative self-starter. You take initiative to tackle problems and get your work done efficiently and in style.
- A design-fanatic. You notice and attend to every detail and are constantly tinkering and improvising to make your own gear more functional and beautiful.
- Empathetic. You are insatiably curious about our customers and what motivates their outdoor gear purchases and experiences. You care deeply about the end user of each product and seek to get input and feedback from others, solving their biggest challenges.
- Reliable. You do what you say you are doing to do and deliver with excellence.
- A strong communicator and collaborator. You are independently a great designer, but relish creating and collaborating within a team environment.
- Intellectually curious. You enjoy learning new ways of doing things; you’re often finding, testing and optimizing new solutions to old problems.
- Organized. You love knowing where everything is and you can explain why it's there to begin with.
- Flexible. You have a get-it-done, no-task-too-small attitude while moving freely from one project to another.
- A fun human. You don’t take yourself too seriously but you are serious about getting things done.
- Advanced 3D CAD skills in Solidworks or Rhino, or other common modeling package including curvature-continuous surface modeling and multi-part mechanical assemblies
- Proficiency in communicating via drawing and hand illustration
- Working knowledge in designing parts for high volume manufacturing processes, including tooling, production and assembly processes for metal forming and plastics molding
- Proficiency in performing tolerance stack-up analyses a plus
- Technical knowledge of a wide range of materials, fabrics, coatings, joining, and assembly techniques
- Extensive knowledge of prototyping processes, including use of 3D printing
- Hands-on machine shop experience; ability to create physical fabrication
- Sewing and pattern making skills a big plus
- BA/BS or higher degree with 5-7+ years in hardgoods and product design
- Passion for the job and Kammok's brand and mission
- Ability to execute on Day 1
- Strong work ethic, exceptional collaborator, and commitment to continuous improvement
- Driven to make a positive impact in the world and your day-to-day environment
- A passion for the outdoors, camping and backpacking
SOME BENEFITS AND PERKS OF WORKING AT KAMMOK
- Generous PTO policy
- Health, dental, and vision benefits package
- Casual and inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee
- Friday team lunches (lots of tacos!)
- Allowances and discounts on Kammok gear